Monday, June 13, 2011

29

Almost a year and a half ago, I wrote about my 29th birthday.(Happy Un-birthday), and as it has come and gone I really thought I needed to write a follow up piece. My plan 17 months ago was to have everything figured out by now. Unfortunately, that hasn't quite played out the way I'd hoped. I thought I had it figured out a few times. More than a few times, probably. What I have figured out is that I may never figure it out. I'm afraid that's not how it works. I've been waiting for an aha moment that might never come. (I don't want to say for sure because who knows - and since my point here is that I don't know what's going to happen, I don't feel comfortable ruling anything out.)

So let's quickly recap the last 18 months. I will keep this extremely brief. You'll have to buy my memoir if you want all the gory details. You can expect that to be published sometime in the next 2-20 years. I quit my not so bad job, worked hard to get into ITF (Indianapolis Teaching Fellows), got into ITF, worked through summer institute, got a job (my dream job), lost that job, searched for a job, took a job as a waitress (where I was recently named employee of the month!), while I continue to look for a job. In the midst of all that, I dated a handful of guys (half of whom I legitimately thought I'd marry - most of whom, I probably won't), and I made a lot of great new friends, (whom I've unfortunately taken for granted at times - I've had a slew of excuses, a few of which were valid, but I am sorry and love you all).

So that brings us to now. All those times that I was sure I had it figured out (and I suppose this goes back further than the first blog post), I was wrong. I thought I knew who I'd spend my life with, I thought I knew what I'd do for a living, but I was wrong. I still don't know. And I can't wait around for my life to start. I'm 29 years old and my life is happening right now. All of this stuff that I thought was just filler until the good stuff starts back up again, this is part of it. So for now I'm trying to spend less time waiting on my real life to begin and more time living the one I have now.

2 comments:

Jes said...

Do you remember Mary Schmich's "Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young" that was published in the Chicago Tribune in 1997. It was supposed to be like a commencement speech. And Baz Luhrman made it into a song called "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)"

It went something like...

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

The only lines that have stuck with me, other than "Wear sunscreen.If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it." is....

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

(the whole article...http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-schmich-sunscreen-column,0,4054576.column

Karli said...

Love you, Jessica!