Monday, July 2, 2012

Won't You Step into the Freezer

Phish 2012
About three years ago, I wrote this about my first Phish show. I just read it for the first time in years and have to humbly admit that I'm impressed with myself. Not only is the writing exceptionally entertaining, but it's fun to relive my initial exposure to Phish. Since that time, I've seen three more shows. This is a very sad number in Phish terms. Just to give you some perspective, the guys in front of us Thursday night were at their 320th show. I didn't dare tell them it was my 3rd. I just nodded along like yeah, man, that's about what I'm at, too. We were in the pit, for crying out loud, I couldn't act like an amateur. So I've now seen four Phish shows (not even enough to use numerals according to the APA) and a couple of live webcasts, which I think should almost count... Maybe for half a show. They're filmed with nine high definition cameras. It's like you're there. So I'm up to 5 1/2 shows now (I only got to use numerals that time because of the fraction), and feel like much more of a seasoned fan than I did in 2009. I've listened to a lot more music, know a lot more songs, followed the band on twitter, kept track of set lists, etc. I'm not quite touring with the band, but I'm like one virtual step away from that. Anyway, here's a recap of this year's experience:

Phish was at Deer Creek* Thurday and Friday night. We went to both shows. Friday we were in the lawn. Phish is fun in the lawn. There is plenty of dancing, glow sticks, illegal drugs** and free love. I enjoy the scene. Thursday night we were in the pit. Please see the illistration below for clarification if you are not familiar with "the pit". The pit is the red area touching the stage.
The lawn is casual. The pit is serious. Glow sticks and beach balls are considered frivolous in the pit and get handed off to security to avoid disrupting our very serious musical experience. Thursday night we arrived in plenty of time. Robby met me at my office, which is a stone's throw from Deer Creek, and we walked from there. It was 110 degrees outside. I was sure I was going to die by the time we made it to the gate, after first being redirected from the first gate which was not yet open. Fortunately, we found some shade where I was able to recouperate. So it's 110 degrees and we're making our way towards the pit. We get to the entrance gate minutes before they opened so we were ready to claim a prime spot in the general admission pit. We didn't run or anything, but made our way straight there after stopping for beverages. The front row, or "the rail", was occupied by very important people with pink bracelets. It seems that VIP gets you early access. But there was room in what would be the second row. We found a spot we liked and sat down. After some time had passed, we managed to befriend a couple of the VIPs, who aren't really all that important, they were just willing to pay an extra $50 or something for additional access..and to make themselves feel cool. Once they were convinced that we (at least Robby) were real fans with our his knowledge of setlists from previous decades. I, again, was just nodding along like I'd been to 300 shows and remembered every set. We told them it was our first time in the pit and they took us under their wing. They were pros...They didn't leave their spot once in the five hours we were there, and anybody who came within 3 feet of their space, even hot girls, got booted harshly. If they weren't also kicking people out of my space, I might have thought they were jerks, but they were on my team so I thought they were cool. So under the protection of the biggest a-holes in the crowd, we were able to watch the whole show, undisturbed, an armslength from the band. It's a different show from that close. It's more engaging...it makes you feel like you are a part of the show. Like what you do matters. Trey could see me. It's like we're connected to the band now. Like somehow we exist in their world in a way we never did before. It's heavy stuff.

Neither night disappointed as the band delivered unique set lists and rarely heard songs. So good that I didn't even have to mention the fact that I forgot the tickets and we had to turn back once we got within 5 miles of the venue. That was the night we were in the lawn and miraculously, the storm pushed back sound check which pushed back Doors which gave us time to make the round trip and get the tickets. It was touch-and-go there for a while, but somehow it all worked out. And clearly, I couldn't resist telling the forgot the tickets story. Stay tuned for more weekend updates and enjoy the encore.



*The Phish Heads still call it Deer Creek. I respect that.
**I don't do drugs, I'm just somewhat fascinated by the lives lived by those who do.








No comments: