Friday, February 13, 2009

Addicted to Mountain Dew

So first of all, I'd like to state for the record that I will never respond to someone yelling "shoatie" out their car window in the Wal-mart parking lot. What is that about?

I'm watching 20/20 about folks from the hills of Kentucky which is where Mark's family is from. Now, if you're watching this you should know most of his family isn't as poor as what you're seeing, but they all live in those same hills. I have learned a few things about the Appalachian people.

They're not educated, drink a lot and do a lot of drugs, but none of that is really news. But apparently they are also addicted to Mountain Dew. I forget the statistic, but Mountain Dew consumption in Eastern Kentucky is like 50% higher than anywhere else. They put it in baby bottles, give it to their kids. It's all they drink. So not surprisingly, all their teeth fall out.

They had to add subtitles so that regular English speakers could understand these hillbillies with their extreme dialect. The fellow talking mentioned a "hollow". I'm not sure how fancy 20/20 thinks they are, but that word is "hollar". Hollow is an adjective. Hollar is a noun describing the valley between hills or mountains in Kentucky. I just wanted to make sure you all knew that because I was so surprised that Diane Sawyer didn't.

Editor's Note: Evidently, spellcheck also needs this lesson. It is not recognizing hollar.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The correct announciation is SHAWTY

Ashlee, That's Me said...

And I thought Lindsay was addicted to Diet Pepsi but apparently it isnt real addiction unless you are down to your last $3 and you not only consider it but you actually do choose to buy the 2 liter of mountain Dew or Pepsi over the carnation baby formula at the grocery. So Sad. Also, I like your spelling of Shawty better. lol Good Stuff kar!