Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August & Everything After

I always used to say school should start earlier and end earlier because in May you are so ready for Summer, and by August you're (at least I'm) ready for Fall. While I'm not in school anymore, I think somebody actually listened. This is going to be confusing for a minute, but I'm not talking about school anymore. (Even though I think some schools did actually listen and have adopted this pseudo-year round schedule which sorta satisfies my demands.) Since I don't have school to tell me when it's Fall, I rely on the weather, and it's the weather that has started to pay attention. This year it was hot in May (and June and July) and now in August it's cooling down. I like this.

I'm ready for Fall. Fall is tied with Spring for my favorite season, but the problem with Fall is that it is too short and it leads into Winter. (At least Spring leads into my second favorite season, Summer.) So the start of Fall cultivates mixed emotions for me. I'm excited for Fall, but at the same time, dreading the start of Winter, inevitably the longest, most terrible season of them all. I wouldn't mind Winter if it was over by mid January...It's January 15 - April 1 that is excruciating. I've seem to gotten off on a bit of a tangent, but what I'm trying to say is that I like these cooler August temperatures because it gives me a longer Fall season. Fall means volleyball and football and chili and sweatshirts. It's been a great summer. Maybe the best ever. Summer of '98 has been holding the title for a long time, but it's reign is ending. It's been a great summer and it's shaping up to be a great Fall, as well.
Now what I intended to write about today wasn't a rationale of my ranking of the four seasons, but August and everything after. Looking at my calendar, there's more going on this fall than we had going on all summer.  Volleyball season starts in a couple weeks. The Coaches Preseason Poll just came out and had Purdue ranked 9th. Plus Kyle's Western Illinois Leathernecks will be in town a couple of times, and while the coaches don't have them ranked in the top 20, I'm excited we'll get to see him coach.  We also have tickets to a couple football games. We'll be watching the BSU Cardinals attempt to repeat their victory over the Hoosiers of Indiana, watch the Browns come to town and take on Andrew Luck & Company hoping for a repeat of last year's win, and for the first time, I'll be traveling to Browns Stadium in Cleveland. I'm surprising myself a little by saying it, but I am the most excited about this trip. So these are the big things. We also have a new sand volleyball league starting tonight and continue to stay competitive in our weekly trivia. Bottom line is that I'm excited, and all is well.


EDITOR'S NOTE: I started this post yesterday and just popped in to finish it up and give it a final read through. As I've done that, I've realized it sounds a little braggy. Last night I read this article Are We All Braggarts Now? via @bridrlich on Twitter, which has inspired me to write this follow up piece Braggy McBraggerson.

1 comment:

Jillsy said...

So excited for fall myself!