Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Braggy McBraggerson

When I started this blog, my mom didn't want to read it. She told me she thought I sounded self indulgent. Mom, if you don't remember this, maybe it was my conscience acting as you. It was a long time ago. Anyway, I told her (or the Jiminy Cricket version of her who lives on my shoulder) that blogs were self indulgent. That's the point. Now at that time, I was feeling sorry for myself. Today what I was writing sounded braggy. So I'm writing this post to include with the braggy one so you'll know that while I may be a little Braggy McBraggerson, at least I'm aware of it.
Bri tweeted this article, Are We All Braggarts Now?, yesterday and as I was writing my August and Everything After post, I started to realize I was bragging when really I just wanted everyone to know that I'm happy and having a great time. I guess I'm wondering the same thing. Am I a braggart? When I read the article yesterday, I didn't think it was talking about me, but today it hit me that it was. I don't post every day, but maybe none of us are exempt. So I'm writing now, partially to apologize, partially to acknowledge that I'm now aware I sound a little braggy and partially to ask if this is OK. Should we be less braggy? Is it bragging to share good news? Does anybody care. Is it better to brag on a blog than on facebook. My rationale here is that people have to come to my page as opposed to having my bragginess pop up on their news feed. So is a little bragging OK? I don't mind when it's people that I like, but have found myself groaning at people's vacation sunsets when I'm stuck at work. So where's the line? I'll keep you posted if I have an epiphany.

1 comment:

Ashlee, That's Me said...

When I read your previous blog, August and everything after, I did not think it was braggy at all. However, I like you! Had you posted on facebook that you were excited about going to the Browns game or you won trivia (something I am known to do) I would not have been bothered by it or seen it as bragging, but again, I like you so I want you to be happy and for good things to happen to you. I think what this means is that social networks are designed for braggy type statuses and practically encourage it. My biggest issue is the negative statuses. When people are putting people down or complaining. If people don't want to know that you are happy, then they probably shouldn't follow you. In return, I think that when someone reads a status and thinks its braggy, it is a sure sign that is someone they should stop following. I think it is only bragging if your intent is to bring another person down. But perhaps I feel this way because I am very much guilty of bragging in the sense of sharing good and happy news via social media and therefore would rather not think of myself as a braggert.