Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Not Another Teen Movie

I watched "Don't You Forget About Me" the other day, which is a documentary about John Hughes and the impact he had on teen movies...well, how he basically created the genre. It was good. And it inspired me to come up with a list of my favorite teen movies. In no particular order (besides the one I thought of them in), here they are...

Can't Hardly Wait - "The beer has gone bad! Nobody drink the beer!" I love this movie. Anytime I watch it, I am instantly transported straight back to high school. We had a graduation party that was eerily similar to this, minus Melissa Joan Hart running around with a yearbook...and the pool...and the live band and the police.

The Breakfast Club - LOVE. There really are no words.

Clueless - "Whatever" This one is iconic. I saw it twice in the theater.

American Pie - My dad rented this one and I came in to watch with him, but he was embarrassed watching it with me so he left the room.

10 Things I Hate About You - "And I'm back in the game" I still use that quote quite a bit. Also, my introduction to Heath Ledger. And I had a purple t-shirt that I thought looked just like one that Julia Stiles wore in this movie that I loved.

Almost Famous - This is one of my favorite movies, period. Top 10 for sure, probably top 5. I couldn't imagine anything more glamorous than being a Band Aide.

Sixteen Candles - Molly Ringwald. This one was just always there. One of those movies that shows you what being a teenager is supposed to be all about. Like a guide book to make sure you're doing it right.

Grease - My uncle got me this movie for Christmas when I was in like 5th grade. At the time, I thought I was too young to watch it (I watched a lot of Disney until I turned about 14), but I watched it anyway and while I didn't get a lot of the jokes until I was older, I watched it over and over. I was terribly disappointed when my high school didn't have a dance off with the hand jive.

Mean Girls - I was in college when this came out and we watched it like 10 times the week somebody got the DVD. Hilarious.

Wayne's World - "Party on, Wayne. Party on, Garth"I fell in love with this movie in middle school and I still love it dearly. It totally takes me back.

Empire Records - This movie is just so cool. Just makes me want to work in a record store and buy a bunch of records. People who have records are cool.

She's All That - A bit of a cliche and the inspiration for some spoof movies, but I was in high school and a sucker for a happy ending.....and a makeover.

Dazed and Confused - This is why I've always wanted to be a hippy. And why I've always wanted to haze people. "Fry little piggies!"

High Fidelity - Jack Black at his finest.

Juno - Oh, teen pregnancy...

Superbad - Completely inappropriate inaccurate portrayal of high school, but hilarious just the same.

Dirty Dancing - "I carried a watermelon" This has been on my favorite movie list since I was 9. It is also one of two "grown-up movies" that my mom had on tape. She would fast-forward to the very end so we could see the dancing scene. Oh, and Patrick Swayze was hot. Dirty dancing is hot.

Pretty in Pink - Molly Ringwald again.

Varsity Blues - My dad wouldn't let me see this movie in the theater even though I was a senior in high school and 17 years old. I saw it anyway though. And loved it.

Save the Last Dance - I'd have to call this one a guilty pleasure. I almost left it off the list, but then I remembered that I listened to the soundtrack on repeat for 2 months freshman year and decided I had to include it. Ahh, young, interracial love...so romantic.

Bottom Line: I love a teenage movie!

6 comments:

Robby said...

WOAH there.

Almost Famous, Waynes World, and High Fidelity are not teen movies.

Waynes World and High Fidelity have aboslutely no argument...Almost Famous' argument is extremely shaky. Main character being a teen does not constitue a "teen movie".

I love:

Iron Eagle
Taps
Risky Business
Say Anything
Red Dawn

Karli said...

Teen movie = any movie that is a)Classic teen movie b)Is about a teenager, defined as any person between the ages of 13 and 19. or c)Any movie that I watched as a teenager, makes me feel like a teenager or shaped who I was as a teenager. My blog means that I make the rules. You can make the rules on your blog.

Soups said...

Robby is dead on. But since neither list includes Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Goonies, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Karate Kid, or Back to the Future it's hard to take either seriously.

Karli said...

What part of this is MY list is hard so hard to understand. This is not THE list of teen movies....it's just mine. I could have pulled something off Rotten Tomatoes if we were looking for an official list. I was hoping everybody would share their favorites without hating on mine.

Ashlee, That's Me said...

Well, Maybe its because I'm your sister and so we grew up in like the same environment but I LOVED the list!!! Here is my list of faves!

10 Things I hate about you
Ferris Bueller's Day off
Never Been Kissed (haha)
Mean Girls
Juno
Pretty In Pink
Sister Act 2
Footloose
Dirty Dancing
Grease
Breakfast Club

And Don't hate me for this last one but I'd be lying if I didn't say High School Musical! lol


I was also never allowed to watch Varsity Blues and for some reason to this day I have still never seen it.

Robby said...

OHHH...

My bad...any movie you watched as a teenager...

Then my favorite Teen Movies are:

Sophie's Choice
The Godfather
Striptease
The Ten Commandments
Look Who's Talking Too


How about best Indiana movies:

Chicago
Casablanca
Sleepless in Seattle
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I saw all of these movies in Indiana.