Friday, February 12, 2010

...The More I Love My Dog!

Valentine's Day, Schmalentine's Day... OK, I'm not going to be grumpy about it. It's a made up holiday, yada, yada. No, I'm not just saying that because I'm alone on Valentine's Day. Of course not. I really do think it's a commercial holiday (not that I don't enjoy flowers and chocolate because I do), but for me, it has yet to get better than decorating paper bags with doilies and exchanging cards in elementary school.

Many of you know my dog, Tilly. She's my Valentine this year, and she's the sweetest thing ever. We have been taking an obedience class, and it has been going really well. There are about 20 dogs in our weekly class, and none come close to the perfection that is Tilly. There are dogs in this class that have major behavioral issues (my dad would argue that Tilly aka 'Crazy Dog' is one of these dogs). Her problem isn't her, it's clearly me. She does exactly what she is supposed to in that class, it's me who can't figure out how to give an about turn command. I was beaming with pride when she stayed down after the trainer dropped a huge, meaty treat right in front of her. I was terrified as this woman approached with said treat. We were the last in the line to receive a distraction and the training lady couldn't even look at darling Tilly because she was looking up with angelic anticipation, waiting on her treat. I look around the room, knowing that I absolutely must to be bias, but having no control over my emotions (as usual..), and I know that she is the cutest and sweetest dog in this class. I actually feel sorry for these other dog owners because they are clearly stuck with their full bred German Shepherds (with papers, of course), while I get to go home with my dear Tilly. I am not an animal person at all, but I am so head over heels in love with this dog, it is insane. Even when I want to kill her, which is becoming less frequent thank goodness, I love her so much that I just want to squeeze her.

The moral of this story is that I could do a heck of a lot worse than Tilly, as my valentine. Thanks to C. Underwood for her inspiration for the title. Good song...I am feeling you on that one this year.

No comments: