Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Red Devil Volleyball

So as predicted I am tired, but I am writing because it is Tuesday. Despite my predjudice to all things north of 96th street, I made the journey to Fishers High School to see Fish coach the Richmond Red Devils. I'll share the highlights.

NOTE: I just started writing my blog based on the notes that I made while (intently)watching the match, but decided that the notes were better than the long version so I'm just posting the notes.

1. Tall-ass camera (as described by Kyle that is apparently drug around to all matches)
2. Dean Knapp - Scarred me for life (JV coach for Richmond and younger brother of a girl I used to play with. He once held me under water for so long I thought I was going to die)
3. Jarett Habel - Ultimate Frisbee (Asst. coach at Fishers and a former Purdue manager. The only real conversation we ever had was about ultimate frisbee)
4. Wish I'd had my camera (to document Fish coaching)
5. How does Fish's hair affect his coaching??
6. Fishers is fancy (it cost $5 to get in and they had amazing concessions), but the gym is so 2000 - very dated.
7. A few people might think I'm a college scout. I knew I should have worn a shirt from an obscure university that might actually be recruiting at that match (ex. U of I, Rose Hulman)
8. Sideout cheer - it's been a while since I've gotten to hear one of those...for real...from real high school volleyball players.
9. WTF is up with 3 out of 5? It's just too long for a high school match.
10. I was completely disappointed by the absence of Magic Passing Bands on either team in the gym.

All in all, it was good volleyball and a good time. Richmond lost in three games, but they were good games. It was very entertaining. And it was good to see Fish. That's all for now.

Shondell Out.

No comments: